Saturday, December 31, 2011

WAR HORSE Movie Review


Speilberg does it again - beautiful cinematography, story, and meaningful characters - the trifecta of filmmaking.  I wish I could go back in time when we locked eyes at a popular Hollywood restaurant and thank him for this film.  WAR HORSE is so moving that I could hear many crying in the theatre at various parts.  I've found lately that it's hard to keep a dry eye when your heart is really open.

However, I feel the need to warn you about the violent war scenes in WAR HORSE.  This film is intense and tough to watch in parts.  I'm a huge horse lover and ride every week and I felt elements of this was a horse-lover's nightmare on screen because of what the amazing star of the film, Joey the horse, endures.  I typically won't pay to see a movie about war.  Yet watching the scenes of brutality made me remember how lucky I am and how blessed we are as Americans and for all of the little things we take for granted.  Leaving the mall and walking by a Coach store after seeing this film made me think about how silly the meaning of an expensive handbag is when there are men at war elsewhere in the world.  It also made me think about how silly war is when we each have the power of our voice, the brilliance of our minds, and the gift of our hearts to sit together and talk things out; something even a horse isn't given and yet can change the lives of many.

The beautiful part of this heartwarming story is that Joey the war horse is a symbol of many things.  He is a living metaphor for resilience, strength, brilliance, courage, support, hope, determination, and support.  He is a true solider and therefore has all of the qualities any solider needs to survive.  He is referred to as a magical and remarkable horse in this film.  He is really the glue in the center of World War I.

We follow Joey from a foal to a colt to an adult horse and though all of the lives he touches.  Spielberg does an amazing job at intersecting the storylines and the scenes through the journey of this powerful and magnificent horse.  The theme that I found most moving and inspirational was that Joey represents heartfelt connection.  He brings together a family, a small farming community in England, two brothers, sergents and soldiers, a grandfather and grandaughter, and most importantly two "enemies" from different sides of a war camp.  The love this horse inspires in many throughout the film is shared through his spirit and just looking at Joey can transform anyone to see the symbolism he represents.

The most powerful scene in the film is the one that signifies freedom from prison and the connection that happens when we put aside our differences and stand up for what is right from a place of love.  I won't spoil this scene because its one of the most touching and tender moments I've ever seen before in a film.  You will know it when you see it and it will remind you that a simple horse can end a war and connect us all, no matter what we believe.

I'm thrilled this film received a Golden Globe nomination for Best Picture as it surely deserves that and is meant to be seen by the masses to communicate not only the preciousness of our animals but the meaning of hope, connection, and love.  I'm also grateful that no animals were harmed in the making of this movie.  I looked that up to make sure because its important to me that we treat our animal actors with kindness and respect.  In reading about this, I realized that Joey actually memorializes the almost 5 million horses that did give their lives in battle in WWI and he is a true hero in so many ways.

I hope you see WAR HORSE and share your thoughts and feelings with us here!  Its a powerful, mindful movie with heart and with a strong message.  Its a unique story and for all of you horse-lovers you will find it pulling at your heart-strings for days to come as we share a secret bond of knowing the magic a horse brings to the world.  Thank you Steven Spielberg for this film and for your love of horses.....may I see you holding another Oscar in the coming months!

Entertain - Enlighten - Inspire
Kate Neligan
Founder, Synergy TV & Mindful Media Entertainment LLC

No comments:

Post a Comment