Tuesday, September 18, 2012

JULIE & JULIA Movie Review


JULIE & JULIA offers such a positive, feel-good and heart-warming experience.  It feels like a “chick flick” and yet it is really for anyone that needs to believe that pursuing a passion can pay off. Meryl Streep is amazing as Julia Child and Amy Adams is endearing as Julie Powell. Based on the true story of a Queens girl who started a blog to give herself something to look forward to outside of her job. Her life parallels the famous cook, Julia Child’s, as they both transform through their love of food.
I can see why so many people adore this film because it sends an inspirational message that anyone can be successful. My favorite moment in the film is when Julie starts to listen to her 65 voice mails after she is written about in the NY Times. She quickly receives offers for an agent, a book, and a movie. In many ways, this is any entrepreneur’s dream (and certainly my own!) to hit it big overnight. Yet the truth is that Julie showed up consistently every day for a year to cook and write about her experience. It made me realize that a great idea, paired with consistent committed action really does yield significant results. Julia Child also had many attempts before her famous cookbook was published.


What I loved the most about this film is the relationship that both Julie and Julia are in with their respective husbands. The strength and support these men offered to their wives was amazing to me. It gave me hope that there are great guys out there that will show up for strong women who are working on their dreams. In the past, I used to feel like I would have to choose between an amazing relationship or my dream career. I always thought both would take so much time but this film portrays a different reality where both are not only possible but work together in complete harmony. I was comforted by the generosity these men offered to their leading ladies and how they worked as a team with the common phrase of “we’ll figure it out.” I have so much hope that these relationships exist now.
I also particularly liked how Julia raised the bar for Julie to be a better person. Sometimes we really do need a mentor or idol to follow and to positively project the new, higher-self qualities we are stepping into. This film also portrays Julia as a master at visioning. She stated clear affirmations that her book would change the world and it did. Her enthusiasm, yes-attitude, and love for food were infectious and impactful. She is proof that anything that we jump out of bed for at 6:30am is worth pursuing and doing every day of our lives.

So that is my blog post about a movie about a blogger! I am proud of Julie for staying the course of her commitment and for reaching success. As her husband said, she was already a writer; she just needed to own this in herself regardless of the outer circumstances. I am going to own being a writer as well, even if only a handful of people read this blog (for now). I love films with purpose, meaning and heart that make us feel good and to me the movie JULIE & JULIA is like beef bourguignon to Julia Child.

Entertain - Enlighten - Inspire,
Kate Neligan
Founder/CEO of Synergy TV and Mindful Media Entertainment LLC.

No comments:

Post a Comment